Function Of I/O Modules

By : ATHIRAH BT ZAHARUDIN

The Function Are :

1)   Control and Timing.
2)   CPU Communicating.
3)   Device Communication.
4)   Data Buffering.
5)   Error Detection.


1)   Control and Timing
  •     Required because of multiple devices all communicating on the same channel
  •         Example :-

–CPU checks I/O module device status
–I/O module returns status
–If ready, CPU requests data transfer
–I/O module gets data from device
–I/O module transfers data to CPU
–Variations for output, DMA, etc.


2)   CPU Communicating

  •      Commands from processor – Examples: READ SECTOR, WRITE SECTOR, SEEK track number, and SCAN record ID.
  •        Data – passed back and forth over the data bus
  •        Status reporting – Request from the processor for the I/O Module's status.  May be as simple as BUSY and READY
  •        Address recognition – I/O device is setup as a block of one or more addresses unique to itself


3)   Device Communication.
  •    Specific to each device
4)   Data Buffering.
  •    Due to the differences in speed (device is usually orders of magnitude slower) the I/O module needs to buffer data to keep from tying up the CPU's bus with slow reads or writes
5)   Error Detection.

  •        simply distributing the need for watching for errors to the module They may   include:
               - Malfunctions by device (paper jam)              

                      - Data errors (parity checking at the device level)            

                      - Internal errors to the I/O module such as buffer overruns







0 comments:

Post a Comment